Thursday, April 21, 2016

looking back to 1999!!

Image result for prince

They say that music sparks your memory. My husband and my lead server literally text me at about the same time today to tell me the Legend died. It's hard to believe. I just don't think there is a lot of talented artist like him out there these days, and despite his own success always helping to further someone else to make there mark in life. I always have been a huge fan of Prince. I don't know why my parents allowed this, but I remember being like 6-7 years old and having a poster of Prince in a bathtub in my play room. So I guess my love for the icon began a long time ago. I have so many memories associated with prince songs. I honestly have been sitting here for the last hour trying to think which song is my favorite, I cant decide I love them all.
Back to 1999, this is the year I decided to make a career out of the only thing I knew how to do. In 1999 I left for Culinary school in Minnesota. I starter school in November, I think, and came back to the WB to do help cook New Years dinner at the restaurant I cooked at before leaving for college. The millennium was upon us and everyone thought the shit was gonna hit the fan. I was 20 years old, hanging with my still best friend Linda, enjoying cocktails, and "1999" blaring through the restaurant! Good times.
Living in Minnesota, Prince was just a natural part of being there. Every kitchen I worked in you would here Prince, Dylan, Phish, and Disney soundtracks. What a combo! We kitchen folk are an eclectic bunch! I worked for some pretty amazing folks up there in the twin cities. At one restaurant I was treated to a Prince concert with one of the owners wives, sitting club level in the excel center. All I have to say is it was "Amazing". I remember getting to drive past Paisley Park and told that's where Prince Lives!! I had a good friend tell me Prince would occasionally open his home up and let fans come in and do small concerts. How awesome! He got to have that expierence once, So jealous.
My year of school in Minnesota, and the years after that I lived and worked there definitely molded me to what I am today. I was lucky to have worked alongside some pretty talented people and have awesome instructors in school. I will never forget those years and people!
Prince "If I was Your Girlfriend", I would be "Delirious", "Kiss" you, wear "Diamonds & Pearls" & "Die For You", but for now "Lets get Crazy", Party like it is "1999" in the "Purple Rain", cause we are all gathered here today, to get through this thing called Life!  Thanks for all the good memories your music sparks and will continue too throughout your fans lives! Thanks Minnesota for all that you had and have to offer a young chef! "Nothing Compares to You"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment