Thursday, January 19, 2017

Goat Cheese! Goat Meat??

We are all so familiar with that oh so creamy Chevre right? Or a wonderfully aged goat cheddar cheese!
What happens to all those goats after they are done producing milk for us to indulge in that tangy cheese. Male Goats?? Do they have a purpose other than helping to produce more female goats for milk production. 
I have to say cooking with goat is something that intrigued me, but like most of the public I was nervous and a little put off about it. Why? I have no clue. I love eating like a carnivore! Lamb is one of my all time favorites. Little sweet, little gamey. In fact I love that wild flavor of different hooved beasts. Why in the world have I not cooked with goat yet? What is stopping me? I'll be honest is our small town open to this? Is there enough people here to go out on a limb and try this? Why was I nervous about this? I have made people love beets, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and all kinds of other things they thought they disliked. Once prepared under the hands at Cafe Soeurette they changed there flavor profiles all together. 
I guess really now it took my new Sous Chef Kyle to push me along on this culinary experiment! He has worked with it numerous times in the past. He told me it's like lamb! I said "what I love lamb!"
In researching this further it is sweet like lamb, very mild game flavor, high in protein, high in iron. Very versatile to any cooking techniques. Goat is the most widely consumed red meat in the world but doesn't often make it on to the tables in the U.S. Well Cafe lovers, next weekend we bring you goat on our menu!! This goat will be coming to us from La Clare Farms. Chef Kyle and I have been working on menu ideas. We are so excited! If you love goat cheese, love goat meat too!

No comments:

Post a Comment