Thursday, February 25, 2016

Is Dessert an after thought???

So I ask you, "Is Dessert and after thought for you?" Or are you one that always plans on indulging your sweet tooth?
Well you can bet I'm a planner, I always "plan" on dessert! I was a pastry chef for a period of time in my career. I don't necessarily enjoy making desserts but I can when I need to and I definitely enjoy eating them!  I have also passed on this art to one of my employees and taught her the ways. I think we have a solid core dessert menu. Pictured above is our Chocolate Carmel Tart! It is what it is!!! I myself can only handle 2-3 bites. But I have customers that order whole tarts to take home with them! Thick chocolate crust, thick house made caramel, and rich chocolate ganache finishes it off. You know love was put into this on the first bite!
That being said, My husband I were discussing our recent "date night out" meal last night. Everything was great at this establishment, But I asked my husband what he thought of dessert? He said ok, and then asked me. I said we only get out once a month for dinner else ware and I look forward to going all out cause it is our night to be served, enjoy, and be baby free! But dessert at a few of the most recent places have been a little disappointing. Not that they are bad, just that there was so much effort put into the amazing savory food and then we get the final course of our experience and it has been a little bit of a  let down, like dessert was just an after thought. Like these places know they have to offer it but it isn't executed to the extent of the savory dishes. My husband commented that dessert is the last thing to leave a taste in our mouth about the experience, I was like exactly!! It's like when I tell my bartenders to make sure to say goodbye to our guests, as the diners pass by to exit. The customer service and food presentation and taste shouldn't be over till those guest exit the building!!  
With this all being said it has inspired me to add a feature dessert weekly just to step it up another notch! Get your sweet tooth ready folks!!

1 comment:

  1. I think your comments are right on. There are a number of restaurants with a good menu that really don't think much about their dessert, or even offer it.

    When I go to your house I know I can always count on an amazing Cheesecake or Miss Katy's Pot du Creme which is always spot on, and tastes like "more" even though it is a generous portion. It is just that good :) If there is something else special on the dessert menu, then it is an added bonus.

    I don't eat anything prepared with alcohol, so that is always a large factor that limits me on both the main course and desert menu.

    ReplyDelete