Thursday, March 17, 2016

A motley Crüe



My crew, well yes we are a Motley Crew!
I say this because they are all so different and diverse but yet we all blend and work together.
Last Saturday I had a couple that dined with us and the woman stated she was "just" a waitress as well. Complimented on our staff despite a few hiccups. The woman in further conversation said she always wanted to be a waitress. I said awesome! She said people think I'm crazy when I say that. I told her I didn't think that was one bit Crazy. There is a ton of money to be made, waiting on strangers. She then said she had done it all, been in the military and a laundry list of jobs. But she loves serving. Those are the kind of people we value in this industry. Those who love what they do. It takes a special person day in and day out to oblige a persons every wish and need in a manner of 2 hours!!
What still bothers me is that she classified herself as "just" a waitress. You can make a great living waitressing, in fact make a career of it. I find nothing shameful in that what so ever. I couldn't waitress. It takes a special person to be able to do wait on people. I value my servers so much, they are incredible at what they do! They are salesman and entertainers!! They have to ensure a memorable experience!
Every person that works at the café is an integral part of the daily workings of the café. I don't care if you are washing dishes, cleaning bathrooms, slinging cocktails, cooking, or waiting on tables. We all need each other to make it all work like a well oiled machine.
My crew besides those that have made a career of working here are all so different and diverse backgrounds. So many different things have brought them to this industry. Or this worked with current life situations, or it is or has been a stepping stone to get them where they want to be.  Some are here cause it works with opposite schedules with spouses and raising a family, some are here part time for extra money for school. Some have degrees in accounting, women's studies, engineering, finance, some are professional "poker players"!  I've had it all people in landscaping, nursing, beauticians, massage therapists, musicians, graphic designers and farmers. I love that it has brought together people from such different backgrounds and it all works! I love my Motley Crew!!

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago my grandfather said "If you are going to be a ditch digger, then be the very best ditch digger." For me, when I go to dine, I enjoy a tasty meal, and an eye catching plate, but just as important are watching the staff interact with each other, and the way they relate to customers. A good meal will get me in the door, but it is the Motley Crue you so lovingly describe that gets me back in.

    Hoping to make it in for some of that jazz tonight too!

    ReplyDelete