Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A chef's job is not just cooking anymore.

So this is my assistant, Tia and I. Café would not be where it is right now without her and all the other employees! Tia being my assistant allows me to deal with all the things I need to do behind the scenes and in front of the camera!!
 
Back in the day a chef was a chef because we created amazing culinary masterpieces. We were confined a lot, (by our choice I think) by the 4 walls of our kitchens. Our creative side lends us to be social when need be but most, back when I started were very satisified by perfecting a dish, seeing it plated and having the server tell us the customer was so pleased with it! Now in the last 8 years of having my place times have changed. I partially blame the food network. Nothing against them at all but they have "hollywoodized" and "romantized this industry. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry is now a chef and will open a restaurant! I still find it weird when people call me "Chef".  I feel like you really need to put your time into this industry to have that Title. It's strange to me cause I refer to the chefs I trained under as "Chef" and I'm not quite sure if I'm really at there level yet. I have so much respect for them and there talents. I still have more to learn I feel.
 I digress once again, back to how Hollywood and technology have changed this industry. Instead of just creating you also need to be in the public eye. It's just so different now.
Recently we had a tv crew here filming. It was totally different than anything I have ever done before. I was so nervous but I think it went well! It is crazy to invite a film crew and then viewers on top of it, into my safe place , "my kitchen"!
Such are the times and guess I just have to roll with it and hope to not only entertain your palate but your minds and sense of humor as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment