Thursday, August 13, 2015

I know who grows my food!




I originally started this post on Saturday but got a bit busy to work on it and as it is I'm glad I didn't have time to write, that means we have been busy!! Also it made my thought topic develop even more.
Today was one of those days that puts a big smile on my face. While shopping at market on Saturday, I set up a delivery order of produce to be delivered today from Witte's farm. So I'm sitting here paying bills this afternoon like I do every Tuesday afternoon, not my favorite thing to do. If you know me at all sitting at a computer for hours is not my kinda fun. Well like 2pm Gus Witte with his helpers deliver my order, one of the things I ordered was 2 bushels of sweet corn. Which is the second week in a row I have ordered that much. Gus says to me, "Jodi what are you doing with all this corn?" I said "Freezing it for winter!" He looked back at me and said "Ok, hmm.." Yup folks besides all the canning we do, we freeze things in the peak of the season to use later on in the year. My poor dishwasher/prep cook tonight says to me "I'm so glad you didn't make me peel, and cut corn tonight!" (he had that task last week). I said "na, Wednesday night kid can do it this week, lol!"
So what put a big smile on my face tonight was, I was cleaning up butter spilt by a server on the floor in dining room that I heard the metal cup hit the floor, and as I'm cleaning it up someone says to me, "don't you have people for that?" I look over and it is Gus Witte with a young lady having dinner!
I absolutely love that the farmers I buy from dine at the cafĂ©! I love that I know them, their families, and I get invited often to come see their farms!! It just means so much to me. There is so much love, dedication, and care taken in what they provide us every week, besides the fact that it just tastes so much better than produce purchased from a big purveyor that was picked not ripe and trucked in from other states, even countries. It's funny today I just peeled the last of the apples I bought last October from farmers market to make some apple butter, they were just now getting a little soft. So that was the last 1/2 crate of the 8 crates from last year. Once again does that tell you how old your apples are from the store. We store those apples in a walk in cooler, nothing special. The pictures in this post are of some of the other farmers I buy from hard at work last Saturday morning! Well hope to see you all at market on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment