Thursday, November 5, 2015

A night out on the town!!

Last night was the husband and I's first evening out without our little guy since he arrived!!
I got a recommendation from a few people of a place to go checkout in Milwaukee. So we did! We went down to Walker's Point to Morel!! It was a gonna be a great evening regardless because it was our first date night! On facebook today I posted that we went out, someone commented where does a chef go eat??? Well this chef does have her favorite places to dine, but I wanted something new because last night was a big deal for us! I asked some people I trusted with an upper hand in the Milwaukee scene! Both responded with Morel was a great place and it was!!
We had a reservation, but upon arrival I asked if we could sit and have a cocktail first. After sitting there a bit I said to the hubby, "lets eat here". When is the last time we got to sit at the bar together!!
So our evening began, we sampled small plates, had entrees, and finished with desserts and craft cocktails, microwbrews, and great wine throughout! Everything was top notch! I couldn't have been more pleased with our whole evening. Funny thing happened at the end of the evening, I payed the bill, tipped my bartender and also gave him a cash tip to divide between the kitchen staff. Yes the kitchen staff. Please don't think I'm asking you to frequent my cafĂ© and tip me. I'm not at all. Even when I bartend behind my bar I give all the tips to whoever I'm working with. I'm the owner you choosing to dine/drink with us is all I need! Back to tipping the kitchen, so this place has an open kitchen. I have worked in these types of kitchens before I hated it. It is not easy for me to keep my mouth shut, not swear, and not be able to listen to my own music preference while cooking. Oh and hoping I don't do anything to make myself look stupid. These 4 guys last night had to cook for a dining room full of people, execute everything perfectly (no where to hide from the public), and entertain. Not my cup of tea. But like I have said in previous posts that Hollywood has changed this industry. These 4 chefs did a great job, so yes I threw them a tip too. It was great the bartender walks over gives the sous the tip I over hear him tell him they got tipped the sous says, "whatever?" bartender says "i'm serious" Sous says "you're f#@$%&* Serious?" they talk a bit more I over hear again "nobody has ever tipped us" he then comes over thanks us, shakes our hand, tells us that was awesome asks if we want to do a shot together! We declined explained we had a 45 min drive and tell him everything was great and buy himself something other than a Miller high life (we saw them grab out of the cooler a bit earlier for the kitchen staff). All in all we had a great evening and everyone there was part of it! We in the industry work nights, weekends, holidays, long shifts, don't eat dinner till midnight or later cause we are helping strangers have enjoyable evenings and making memorable meals. I just wanted these guys to know I appreciated it! Sometimes the smallest gesture makes the biggest impression!

No comments:

Post a Comment